Tuesday 13 August 2013

Dairy, running and poor performance!

I wrote a post "Lactose Intolerance" on 30 of April. In it I describe briefly the ill effects that dairy or more specifically lactose was having on my training and performance. I don't want to repeat what I said in that post but to use a phrase coined by the greatest manager in football (Sir Alex Ferguson), 'I had a squeaky bum!' You get the picture. The symptoms were made worse or exacerbated by running and I had to cut many training sessions short due to the nauseous feeling that accompanied the a fore mentioned.

I knew something was wrong and the 2 most likely suspects were lactose or gluten. I faced a dilemma, choosing which food group to quit, dairy or wheat. One or the other was going to make a difference. The dilemma lasted about the length of time it takes to sneeze! Life without wheat, there's no fun in that, right? 

I rushed out and bought LactoFree milk and butter and stopped eating yogurts. After 48hours my symptoms had improved by 80%. 

I finished that post by stating that after a couple of months I'd reintroduce dairy and see how I felt. However new information has made me have a change of heart. I've learned during the interim that diary ain't all it's cracked up to be and that what you gain from eating it is far from healthy. Let me explain.
Most of the information you see or hear about the health benefits of dairy is coming from the Dairy Council from whatever country you live in. Each council will instruct a certain amount of research proving the health benefits, so when you hear a statement 'milk is a great source of calcium or vitamin D' strictly speaking this is not false but it's not the whole truth either. There are some valuable nutrients to be gained from drinking milk but these in my opinion don't out weight the pitfalls. In fact they don't even come close and furthermore the valuable nutrients can be gained from alternative foods very easily without the horrific pitfalls. 

I've switched to Soya Milk. I compared the nutrient label on dairy milk and soya milk, here's what I found.  
                                              Soya milk                                     Dairy milk
                               Calcium content 12mg             Calcium content 11.9mg                             Saturated fat .3g/100ml               Saturated fat 2.2g/100ml
Sugar 2.7g/100ml                            Sugar 4.9g/100ml

So if the calcium content is almost equal, my next question would be is one more absorbable than the other? Here's what Dr. Greger of www.nutritionfacts.org found

What happen to other nutrients in the presence of dairy?

What are some of the pitfalls of dairy consumption?

Dairy calves are obviously dairy producing cows, therefore each calf must be female and of sexual maturity. This means "Dolly or Daisy" is producing milk rich in hormones that make her offspring grow.  A baby calf will grow between 200lbs and 1,200lbs in a single year. I point this out to draw attention to the power of these hormones. These hormones have a high correlation between acne, childhood and adult carcinomas and inflammatory disease.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dairy-hormonal-interference/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/dairy-acne-2/
Dairy calves are also given specific hormones to ensure she produces maximum content of milk per day. This makes her udders nice and big and easy to milk. The daily grind of machine milking may cause sore, pus producing nipples. It would be impossible to prevent this pus going into the food stream so a number of around 3,000,000 pus cells per glass of milk is acceptable in the USA. If its happening in the US you can be pretty sure it's happening in Europe too. Everybody wants to maximise profit and ensuring pus-less milk I'm assuming wouldn't be cost effective,,,,, so give it to the kids!

Dairy has also been clinically proven to block antioxidant absorption. Antioxidants are found in most plant foods particularly those of great colour, they reverse the effects of free radical damage, which is caused by animal proteins, hydrogenated animal fats and the sun.

So does dairy make for better bones? You would hope so with all the huge risks it carries.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/long-term-vegan-bone-health/

I was convinced by this conclusive evidence almost 5 months ago. I've had a very very limited amount of animal dairy since then and I've been feeling much much better. I've recently ran 70 days in a row covering about 640km without any hint of injury. All performed on zero animal dairy.
I started juicing around the same time that I quit dairy. That means much more antioxidants going in and less blocking of absorption by dairy, all this makes for a much healthier body. And I ran a PB in the a half marathon last weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment